Secondary Education, M.A.T.
36 Credits | Main Campus
Earn your teaching license and a masters degree in Secondary Education to work with students in 7th to 12th grade.
Prepare to become a certified secondary teacher in upper-middle and high school. This program prepares you to teach in the secondary education content area of your choice in grades 7-12. Learn how to have a direct, positive impact on teenagers by empowering them as learners and helping them strengthen their families and communities through education.
Trinity’s Secondary Education Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program prepares you to meet D.C.’s certification requirements, which are reciprocal with most states. As an educator, you have the opportunity to initiate change by empowering students and helping them strengthen their families and communities through education.
In the Secondary Education MAT program, you’ll prepare for certification through specialized secondary education courses and a core curriculum that combines the knowledge, skills, and experiences to help you meet the needs of all learners. In the final semester, each program includes a student teaching internship and an advanced seminar in teaching. The program can be completed on a full-time or part time basis except during the student teaching experience at the end of the course of study, which by its nature must be done full-time.
Trinity’s MAT programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator (CAEP) and approved by the D.C. Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).
Dual Licensure: Inclusive Education
As an alternative to its special education program, Trinity offers the first and only program in the District of Columbia allowing students to earn licensure in their primary program area AND special education. This option requires candidates to take four courses in special education in addition to their course sequence in their primary program area.
At Trinity we believe that all educators should be prepared to work with students with disabilities. This program focuses on developing the knowledge, skills, and abilities to teach students with and without disabilities in inclusive settings.
What You’ll Learn
- The major tenets of secondary education including current research about how the adolescent brain learns as well as the principles and methods needed to teach secondary school
- Global and ethical perspectives on education that can be used to better meet the needs to students in urban school districts
- How to teach the content area of you subject area effectively, with attention given both to diagnostic and instructional reading techniques and to various study skills useful in content-area instruction
- Largo High School
- McKinley Middle School
- Ron Brown College Pre High School
Applying to the Secondary Education, M.A.T. Program
In addition to completing an online application, students must have one of the following:
- Passing scores for Praxis Core– Trinity’s code is RA5796 OR
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 OR
- Passing scores on the SAT , GRE and ACT scores from the past five years may be submitted to waive some of the requirements for Praxis Core. Trinity’s SAT & GREcode is 5796; Trinity’s ACT code is 0696.
Students seeking admittance to the Secondary Education M.A.T must also hold an undergraduate degree with a 3.0 in the discipline they wish to teach. Substantial coursework maybe accepted in certain circumstances.
Applying to Trinity is free, and Trinity reviews each application as soon as it is complete: you’ll get our decision right away.
We’re here to help at 202-884-9400 or email@example.com.